This fountain is now situated at the top of Ikarou Avenue next to the Museum Epigraphy Collection. The lavishly decorated spout is in an arch flanked by two pillars adorned with rosettes. Water gathered in a marble basin lavishly decorated with reliefs.
Fountains & Monuments
It was built at the end of the 17th century. It is located behind the Historical Museum of the city. It consists of two columns. Between them is a marble slab with relief decoration. The original location of the fountain was on Michelidaki Street, outside the house of the doctor, Idomeneas Markatatis.
Τhe sebil was built in 1776 by Haci Ibrahim Aga, who spent almost all of his fortune on maintaining it. It is the only surviving example of a sebil in the city.This particular one takes the form of a round domed building punctuated by semicircular barred windows, in front of which is a fountain with
During the siege of Chandax, the Turks cut off the supply pipe to the Fontana Morosini, leaving the city dry. It was then that Provveditor General Antonio Priuli discovered groundwater in the defensive ditch outside the Bethlehem Bastion, on the southern landward side of the enceinte. This he diverted to the Dermata Gate opposite, and
The Venetian Bembo Fountain looms over the Kornarou square, next to the Turkish sebil (charity fountain) built later. The fountain was constructed between the years 1552-1554 by the captain Gian Matteo Bembo who was the first to bring spring water in Chandax via an aqueduct.The fountain bears Gothic and Renaissance elements/adornments as well as the
The Fontana Morosini (‘Lions’) is the best-known fountain in Heraklion, serving as a landmark for locals and visitors alike. Following recent restoration work, it is now one of the city’s finest monuments. The eight-lobed basin rests on an ornate three-stepped pedestal. It is adorned with reliefs of scenes from mythology and marine life, such as