Braised lambshank in extra virgin olive oil, with petimezi sauce, spices and figs
by chef Bosgas Giannis
For the marinade:
- In the clay or in a deep pan (Gastronom) we salt the knuckle by rubbing it so that the salt goes everywhere. Pour the remaining ingredients on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12 h.
Baking for the knuckle:
- The next day we cover the knuckle with olive oil.
- Bake it covered with the lid from the clay (or in Gastronomic foil) for about 2 h. at 140-150 ºC.
- When an hour of baking has passed, add the potatoes and continue baking.
- Remove the potatoes and put them in a pan with oil paste.
- Do the same with the lamb shank. Bake both at 220ºC for about 15΄, drizzling the knuckle 2-3 times with a brush with some of the sauce we have prepared.
For the mushrooms:
- Put a grease gun in a pan, place the mushrooms and sprinkle with a little olive oil and salt.
- Bake in the oven at 120-130 ºC for 25΄-30΄ until dehydrated.
For the gruyere:
- Put an oil paste in a pan, place the grated gruyere in small circles and bake for 4΄-5΄ at 140-150 ºC.
- After it cools down, we break it with our hands.
For the sauce:
- Put the cream cheese in a pan and let it turn brown over low heat.
- Remove the cream cheese from the pan and store it.
- Pour the vinegar in our pan to cool for 1΄.
- Add the tsikoudia and wine, leave for 2΄.
- Then add the honey, the petimezi, the dried figs and the thyme.
- Let the sauce glaze over low heat.
- Finally, add the cream cheese and a little fat from the cooked lamb.
- Set the plate by putting the shank on the potatoes.
- Pour over the sauce.
- Pour the mushrooms over the potatoes and the gruyere.
- The recipe is made from Cretan traditional products.
- Baking in a clay pot will give us a better taste. The Minoans often used their cooking in earthenware, but also ingredients such as extra virgin olive oil, honey, figs, petimezi etc.
- We store the olive oil and we can use it in baked potatoes, salad dressings together with vinegar, lemon etc. We can store it in the refrigerator for future use.