Saint George Gate was built on the northern side of the Vitturi bastion between 1562 and 1566 and is an urban gate. It was designed by Giulio Savorgnan, the genius military engineer and architect who was in charge of the new enclosure of Chandakas. Its entrance, on the city side, is particularly elaborate. Above the door, there is a round marble embossed inscription featuring Saint George, since the gate is dedicated to the patron Saint of the Greek army. The Gate, however, has two other names. It is also called “Maroulas” and “Lazaretto” because it served the suburb of the same name and the Infirmary where lepers were treated.
In 1917, the imposing Renaissance façade of Saint George Gate was demolished to open up Dimokratias Avenue. Today, only a part of the vaulted portico and the arched outer door, on the side of the moat, survive. Its outer side is decorated with the Chanialis fountain which dates back to 1709 and comes from a konak (Turkish type of residence) of the Turkish-occupied Heraklion. Today, Saint George Gate is a popular venue which hosts numerous cultural events and exhibitions that take place in the city.