Agios Minas (Saint Minas) is the patron saint of Heraklion and his temple was built in the mid-19th century, at a time when Ottoman reforms had led to a gradual improvement of the position of the Christian population of Crete. The temple was designed by the architect from Epirus Athanasios Mousis and construction began in 1862. However, the turbulent political atmosphere of the time and economic hardship delayed its completion. The temple was finally inaugurated in April 1895 and, apart from Saint Minas (central transept) is also consecrated to Saint Titus (south transept) and to the Ten Holy Martyrs of Crete (north transept). The structure, which is more than 30 metres tall, features two belfries and an impressive dome and its architectural decoration combines elements of both the eastern and the western school. The temple celebrates the Saint’s memory on November 11 each year, a public holiday for the city of Heraklion, and is open to the public throughout the day.